Thursday 9 September 2010

7th September - Night Training with Davey

So one of the Traceurs in Coventry (Davey) invited me out to train rather late at night, or at least to late to be in the City Centre without being raped. Anyway, I met him at around 8:30, although it was scheduled at 8:00, as the bus he uses to get into town arrived at his at 8. So, after waiting for 30 minutes for him and almost falling asleep in The Priory, he came round the corner, we shook hands and set off to train. Now, Coventry nights are normally freezing, and I mean bloody freezing, but after training Precisions over syringes and glass, I was sweating like 'Jade Goody after an appointment.' (Direct quote from Davey.)

So we first went to the swimming baths where I had previously trained before, but had not really noticed the potential the spot had until I went there again. I realised that the place was full of obstacles and ways to overcome them; Precisions, Cat Leaps, Vaults and a great wall for climbing. We trained there for about 30 - 50 minutes, with only a light allowing us to see where we were jumping. I thought it would've been awkward since I hadn't actually had a 1 on 1 training session with Davey, but he was actually really easy to talk to and a really nice guy. So, after drilling precisions at the swimming baths we then scaled a rather long wall covered in moss to go towards our next location. It was a reasonably easy wall to climb along, but what was unexpected was the massive heap of wet moss which appeared towards the end. My fingers began to slip so I moved my hand onto a rail above, and managed to traverse the wall and land on the other side of a railing with Davey.

Next, we went to a spot where me, Ashley and Chris had trained before. Here I found an obstacle which I would be training most on the entire night; a railing which was perfect distance for a Kong Precision. After numerous attempts at trying to nail it and having Davey telling me if I didn't land it I'd have something else in my pants (his response to me falling backwards and managing to get bark in my underwear), we moved on and I realised that I'd drank nearly all my water already and my legs were beginning to get tired.

We moved on to yet another place which me, Ashley and Chris had been before; a great spot for precisions, where the distance began to vary the further you went down the wall. Now, my precisions honestly aren't that great, and it seemed a jump was certainly out of my reach. However, I tried it and cleared the gap, not sticking the landing though. After repetitive drills, I could stick it rather well and decided to move further along the wall. I was greeted by what seemed like a huge precision, and I could just not clear it. The worst part is, I knew that I could. It was fear that stopped me; the fact that it was a bigger jump than anything I'd ever tried before. After drilling the precision that I could actually do, and after Davey's failed attempt at scaring me when I was landing it, we moved just around the corner to a spot which had another precision. This precision, however, was blocked by a waist high wall and as Davey said "Could test how fast your mind and body could react.". After much hesitation I tried it, but kept landing with my foot in the flowerbed. I luckily missed the flowers, however, so Davey remained a happy man regarding the flower situation for a while longer. I couldn't bring myself to land the precision, so we moved back to the old Kong to Precision spot where we were an hour earlier.

Before we got there, however, Davey went to meet one of his friends who actually seemed an okay guy. We walked with him down to our training spot, and went our separate ways. I could still not get that Kong Precision, though, and after much trying it was nearing time for me to go home. We walked to Pool Meadow where I trained my flow on a set of two rails; the easiest vaults to pull off in a row for me being a Lazy and then a Kong straight after. After training here and Davey talking to a few passers by, we waited outside of Bingo so that I could be picked up. While waiting, we flow trained on a box-box-wall obstacle which I could barely vault, until I was picked up and went home.

The training was great, and once again I sustained no injuries, but pushed myself more than I had before. Things are really starting to pick up.

Peace and Love,
Dan <3

No comments:

Post a Comment